Unable to follow by GFC or other methods? Follow by email! Subscribe to Incandescent Enchantments here!

Advertise #1

(Ad width is not to exceed 640) For more information, go to my advertisements page! Click here for more information!

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Review: The Goose Girl (The Books of Bayern #1)


Author: Shannon Hale
Series: The Books of Bayern, #1
Age Group: Young Adult
Format: Hardback
Pages: 383
Published: May 13, 2005
Publisher: Bloomsbury
Original Price: $17.95
Source: School Library
My Rating: * * * * *
She was born with her eyes closed and a word on her tongue, a word she could not taste. Her name was Anidori-Kiladra Talianna Isilee, Crown Princess of Kildenree, and she spent the first years of her life listening to her aunt's stories and learning the language of the birds, especially the swans. When she was older, she watched as a colt was born, and she heard the first word on his tongue, his name, Falada.
From the Grimm's fairy tale of the princess who became a goose girl before she could become queen, Shannon Hale has woven an incredible, original and magical tale of a girl who must find her own unusual talents before she can lead the people she has made her own.
The Good:
This is my second time reading The Goose Girl, and I still thinks its amazing! I love it when fairy tales are retold, as long as they're retold well. I don't want an author to only put half her/his heart into it. And trust me, Shannon Hale has not put half a heart into this story, she has given one heart and a half. This tale is amazing! Ani/Isi/Crown Princes/goose girl/yellow lady(girl), whatever you wish to call her, is an amazing character. At sixteen, her determination was wonderful. Like all teenage girls, she wanted to give up at times, but she always ended up pursuing her crown. Plus, the writing is magical and wonderful. Always a bonus when a book has excellent vocabulary and writing style.
The Bad:
I don't have much too complain about for The Goose Girl. If I had to say something bad, it would be that at times the book became bland, and it took me awhile to get back to a good part. Otherwise, there was not anything really bad.
The Guy:
The main guy in this story was Geric, the soldier(or is he?). I liked that The Goose Girl, did not necessarily emphasize the romance. It was more a tale of adventure, which is a good change. These days, books revolve around girl x boy, which I enjoy, but like I said before, a change is always welcome. Well, let's describe Geric. He was tall, had broad shoulder, dark hair and eyes. The book was more descriptive but that's basically it. Geric was humorous, gentle, and loving. I admired him. But, I will say that he does not show up much in the book, so you don't really get to know him that well.
The Judgement:
I really enjoyed this book. And trust me, when I re-read a book, it's because I liked it. The characters are wonderful, and Ani has a superpower. Awesome, right? The writing is beautiful. What more could you wish for?
The Author:
Shannon Hale is the New York Times best-selling author of six young adult novels, including the Newbery Honor book Princess Academy, two award-winning books for adults, and the upcoming Midnight in Austenland (Jan. 2012). She co-wrote the graphic novel Rapunzel's Revenge and its sequel with husband Dean Hale. They live with their four small children near Salt Lake City, Utah.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Wonderful Opinions

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...