Unable to follow by GFC or other methods? Follow by email! Subscribe to Incandescent Enchantments here!

Advertise #1

(Ad width is not to exceed 640) For more information, go to my advertisements page! Click here for more information!

Friday, January 4, 2013

Review: Soulbound (Legacy of Tril #1)


Title: Soulbound
Author: Heather Brewer
Series: Legacy of Tril, #1
Age Group: young adult
Format: hardback
Pages: 394
Release Date: June 19, 2012
Publisher: DIAL
Source: school library
SOMETIMES YOU NEED TO BREAK ALL THE RULES TO FOLLOW YOUR HEART...
Tril is a world where Barrons and Healers are Bound to each other: Barrons fight and Healers cure their Barrons' wounds in the ongoing war with the Graplar King. Sixteen-year-old Kaya was born a Healer, but she wants to fight. In Tril, and at Shadow Academy, where she is sent to learn to heal, it is against Protocol for Healers to fight. So Kaya must learn in secret.
Enter two young men: One charming, rule-following Barron who becomes Bound to Kaya and whose life she must protect at all costs. And one with a mysterious past who seems bent on making Kaya's life as difficult as possible. Kaya asks both to train her to fight, but only one will, and the consequences will change their lives forever.


I've always been a fan of swords, so it's no marvel that this cover captured my attention. How could it not? Besides, I'm always on the lookout for books with strong female characters, and well, it doesn't get much better than a girl with a sword on the cover. So, hip hip horay for the cover of Soulbound!


I've been fortunate to be finding amazing books. May the winning streak continue! First The Pledge, and now Soulbound. Let me just warn you, this is a pretty freaking amazing book!

There are books where girls are continually wishing they were stronger, or whatever, but they never actually do anything about it, and just wait for the guys to rescue them. Now, Kaya, isn't quite like that. She takes the initiative. And I couldn't help but love her. Any girl who is willing to stand up to a stuck up, close-minded teacher is A okay for me. Oh, and throw in Maddox too. She was pretty kick-butt, considering she didn't know how to fight or anything.

As for the plotline, it was pretty good. I will brag about this. The author was trying to add a twist to the story, but I had her figured out. At first it was just an assumption, but turns out I was right! I won't tell you what it is, for risk or ruining everything. But just watch out for Darius's relationship with Kaya, and why he's so secretive and all that.

Now, my favorite part, the lovers. Well, there was amazing, gorgeous, mysterious, stunningly hot, Darius. Did I mention he's hot?! His silver hair just added to the mystery! Then there's boring, rule-following, mediocre Trytan. Hello, is there much of a choice? Examine Kaya. I just said that she's rebellious, and totally wants to learn how to kick someone's butt, which is against the rules. Then there's Darius who is a rebel of his own accord....and rule-following Trytan. Screw opposites attract. Darius and Kaya are made for each other! I just hope the author agrees with me. Sorry about my mini rant.

Just take my word for it. This is a pretty awesome book! If you're into strong heroines, then you won't be disappointed. Kaya may not be the strongest, but she certainly has gumption.

My Rating:



Soulbound is part of the Catch Up Reading Challenge!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Wonderful Opinions

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...