Unable to follow by GFC or other methods? Follow by email! Subscribe to Incandescent Enchantments here!

Advertise #1

(Ad width is not to exceed 640) For more information, go to my advertisements page! Click here for more information!

Sunday, June 26, 2011

The Dead Girls' Dance (Morganville Vampires, #2)

Author: Rachel Caine


Series: Morganville Vampires, #2


Page Number: 248


Published: April 3, 2007


My Rating: * * *


"Neat, stylish, and very witty." ~SF Crownsnest


Click here to visit Rachel Caine's website.


Click Midnight Alley for review of Morganville Vampires, book #3.
Summary
Claire Danvers has her share of challenges-like being a genius in a school that favors beauty over brains, dealing with the homicidal girls in her dorm, and above all, finding out that her college town is overrun with vampires.  On the upside, she has a great roommate(who tends to disappear at sunup) and a new boyfriend named Shane...whose vampire-hunting dad has called in backup: cycle punks who like the idea of killing just about anything.
Now a fraternity is throwing its annual Dead Girls' Dance and-surprise!-Claire and her equally outcast best friend, Eve, have been invited.  When they find out why, all hell is going to break loose. Because this time both the living and the dead are coming out-and everybody's hungry for blood.(borrowed from the description on the back cover)
Opinions & Thoughts
Shane is still sweet(and hot) as ever! Although I hated what happened to him(I won't say), I enjoyed the pleasant beginning(before things went downhill).  Shane cares so deeply about Claire, and nowadays I doubt any guy would be so careful about the age difference(Shane-18, Claire-16). To me, he is just the perfect guy that doesn't exist in real life(I may be wrong).  Shane receives a five star rating.
Back to Claire.  Claire may be the main protagonist, but she is not winning me over.  She seemed even more whiny in this book.  Twice I heard her say how this wasn't fair, and why was this happening to them(blah, blah, blah). At least Amelie returned her back to earth by telling Claire the overused saying that life isn't fair. I did love the part where Michael and Eve were debating over who was going to go to Common Grounds and find Sam. Calmly, Claire went to the phone, dialed the coffee place, and asked for Sam. Maybe I'm the only one, but I found that section hilarious. In some parts, Claire wised up, but overall, she was not fitting into the role of smart-16-year-old-who-skipped-two-years-and-is-now-in-college.
I'm still not sure how I feel about Amelie. One minute she seems like someone I could learn to respect and like, and the next I despise her.  Finally, I came to the conclusion that she is bipolar.  But seriously, is she supposed to be like that?
As for the vampires, I don't really have much to say about them.  They are just jerks with fangs(excluding Sam, he is a sweetie).
Fitting right in with the vampires, Shane's dad is the same as them in his own way(well, except for the fangs).  I mean, he and his biker buddies are just big bullies(but with stakes and fire).  If I could, I would jump into the book and give him a piece of my mind for what he did to Shane. No one, and I mean no one, hurts my guy and gets away with it.  Hopefully, he and his biker dudes will receive their just desserts(or I just may have to actually jump into the book and give it to them).
Lastly, I'll discuss the writing style.  While reading, I saw a Paris Hilton and Johnny Depp reference.  I do not know why, but it always frustrates me when an author inserts either some famous clothes brand or artist's name.  Rachel Caine is no exception, but I forgave her, since it did not ruin the story.  What I had a harder time forgiving Caine for, was the foul language sprinkled throughout the book.  This immediately degrades a book for me.  For some reason, I was not able to warm up to the characters(with a few exceptions).  Although bad things happened to them, I did not feel that much sadness nor did I want to cry.  I wonder if this feeling will change later on in the other book, as Caine gains more experience with her characters?
In the end, I found The Dead Girls' Dance less entertaining than the first book, but I will keep reading the series, if not to find out what happens to Claire and Shane's budding romance.













No comments:

Post a Comment

Wonderful Opinions

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...