Unable to follow by GFC or other methods? Follow by email! Subscribe to Incandescent Enchantments here!

Advertise #1

(Ad width is not to exceed 640) For more information, go to my advertisements page! Click here for more information!

Friday, August 10, 2012

Review: Promises (The Syrenka Series #1)


My Promises review is part of The Syrenka Series tour.

Title: Promises
Author: Amber Garr
Series: The Syrenka Series, #1
Age Group: young adult
Format: paperback
Pages: 263
Release Date: December 7, 2011
Sometimes following your heart can end up destroying the ones you love.
She knew this day was coming.
When seventeen-year-old Eviana Dumahl is faced with the responsibility of an arranged marriage and clan leadership, she is forced to choose between the life required of a mermaid and one of a teenage girl simply infatuated with the wrong guy. Kain, her devoted fiance, would make a wonderful husband except that she's been in love with Brendan, a shape-shifting selkie, ever since they were kids. Choosing to abandon her family, her clan, and her life with Kain will have dire consequences far beyond anything she could have imagined.
A war is brewing amongst the clans and Eviana unwittingly becomes a pawn in the intricate schemes of a twisted mastermind. With Brendan's life on the line, she has no choice but to involve those she once considered friends. Amist encountering senseless tragedies and immense loss, Eviana discovers that she is more valuable as a clan leader than anyone ever suspected. Her survival is not only dependent upon the loyalty of her friends, but also on her acceptance of a life she had so adamantly tried to escape.
A copy was provided by Amber Garr for review. Thank you! 

Wow! Promises simply left me open-mouthed! This book is seriously one of the best I've ever read. Since I was little, I was always of fan of mermaids. The ocean fascinates me, with all its mysteries and wonders, so much so that I always spent my time watching The Little Mermaid. I thought it was the best movie ever. But, don't get me wrong. I never once imagined that fish and lobsters and seagulls were singing while in the water. I wasn't that gullible.

So, it's no surprise for me that Promises was such a good book! I haven't read a mermaid book in awhile, but I liked Mrs. Garr's version of mermaids. Mermaids who can control humans? That sounds pretty cool! When I imagined mermaids, I thought of girls who longed to be human. But these merfolk were quite different. They had wealth, influence, and control over humans! Frankly, I loved these merfolk(although since I'm a human, I shouldn't be too happy).

The main character was Eviana. Let me just mention something quickly. I love the name Eviana! It's not one I've ever heard, but the name certainly befits a mermaid. It's very unique. Now, let's move onto the character herself. I thought Eviana acted a tad childish for her age(17-18). But then again, she does live the life of a spoiled heiress. But, boy is she in for a surprise when her world comes crumbling down. I won't say anymore, lest I ruin the book.

Speaking of boys, there were two very yummy guys in this book. Kain and Brendan. Apparently, most of the mermen are hotties, and I'm completely alright with it. Although my heart strayed sometimes towards Kain, the sexy heir, I just couldn't get enough of Brendan, the selkie. Sort of a forbidden love. He was just too cute and mature. I thought he was good for Eviana. Plus, I always think an older guy is hotter, and he was already 21(Kain was around 18/19)!

All I can say about Promises is that you need to get your hands on it! It was an amazing book with a beautiful cover(for all of you out there who judge a book by its cover). And who doesn't love mermaids?

My Rating:



No comments:

Post a Comment

Wonderful Opinions

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...